Children and the Law
Child Support

What can you do about a non-custodial parent who will not speak to or visit their kids?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2011-09-13 22:08:38
2011-09-13 22:08:38

Is the parent assisting with child support through a court order? Go that route first. Money does matter when raising kiddos. (If the parent still refuses to make contact or speak to the kids, who cares about them? The children may be better off without this loser in their life!)

AnswerRight now I am going through the same thing with my son's father. My son is 4. He wants to spend time with his dad, but his dad only visits him when he feels like it. He pays child support, so that is a plus. You can contact the friend of the court for a mediation, they will have you both go in and ask him why he is not visting the children. They will either push for him to visit them, or possibly have him give up his visitation rights. AnswerI don't know if there is ANYTHING you can do.

In California they go by a case called Louden v. Olpin ["Louden"] (1981) 118 Cal.App.3d 565 , 173 Cal.Rptr. 447

the court cannot compel a non-custodial parent to visit... even though morally it's right and the majority view was it should

The summary is mine, you might want to read the case

You can view the case on at

Registration is Free

AnswerI have a 3 year old son whose father will only visit when it's 'convenient' for him...and has never spent any time alone with him. He has a girlfriend who does not know about our son, and I sometimes feel like calling her and telling her. I know this won' t solve the problem, and may make things worse......he pays what he should and on time....but my ds is always asking if his Daddy can come over. Nothing like breaking your child's heart day after day. Too bad there is nothing we can do to change their minds. AnswerI am a mom who has been trying to get my son's father to spend time with him or even call him on the phone but to no avail. He calls or comes over to see him whenever he feels like it and wants to take my 3 year old son 'fishing' with him. I have been along on some of those fishing trips with me watching my son as he gets to the waters edge with the father completely oblivious to the fact. I asked him to come watch our son take his first swimming lessons and he came but he sat to watch the women and girls in the pool rather that the child. I have tried to do the right thing morally but I also question myself if I am doing the right thing for my son? Is my child better off without a father like his? AnswerI am now married to my wife who is not the biological mother of my son. After the mother did not show in court for the custody battle I was given custody. Now that she has to visit with her son who is four and does not live with her anymore, she gets mad and decides not to see him anymore. No calls no visits no bday cards nothing not even xmas!! My wife helps me to keep a journal about all the time that passes by and if she has any contact, we document that too. So I say, keep a journal!!


Petition the court for more child support and thank God that the loser is out of your child's life. Anyone who doesn't want to be with their child has mental problems and the child (and you) are far better off. Don't let them off the hook for child support.....


Related Questions

User Avatar

A custodial parent is obligated to let the non-custodial visit the child if there is visitation schedule in place. If there is none, it is not illegal for the custodial parent to refuse visitation.

User Avatar

can noncustodial parent parent claim 1 child if divorce with 2 kids

User Avatar

Yes, though if the NC is the father, they usually don't.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.