What happened to the Vanderbilt Hotel 34th St East and Park Avenue?
From its 1913 completion until it was converted to apartments in
1965, this was the Vanderbilt Hotel, one of the city's most
fashionable in the early 20th Century. Singer Enrico Caruso lived
here in 1920 and 1921, his last U.S. home. The Vanderbilt Hotel was
purchased by the Manger Hotel chain in 1941 and was the
headquarters of the Manger chain from 1941-1966 when it was sold.
The Vanderbilt was renamed the Manger-Vanderbilt and was one of the
premeir hotel properties of the Manger chain which was a leading
privately owned national hotel chain at the time. Underneath this
building is Wolfgang's Steakhouse, run by the Wolfgang Zwiener, who
was the legendary headwaiter at Peter Luger's for 40 years (though
he got his start at Luchow's). The space, recently called
Vanderbilt Station, was famous as the Della Robbia Bar, aka The
Crypt. The vaulted Gaustavino ceiling is the big claim to fame. The
rumor that this used to be Commodore Vanderbilt's secret private
subway station seems not to be true.