International Adoption
Child Support

What happens to an adopted child if something happens to the adoptive parents before the child is of legal age?



User Avatar
Wiki User

Relatives of the adopted child whether biological or through the adoptive parents are given the opportunity to become the minor child's guardian. If there is an estate a Guardian Ad Litem will be appointed to represent the minor child. If there is family member able to fill the position then the court declares the minor child a ward of the state and and again appoint a Guardian Ad Litem (attorney) to oversee the minor's financial and personal welfare. The GAL with permission from the court will make the decision as to whom shall retain custody of the minor child and where said child will reside and how his or her finances should be handled until he or she reaches the age of majority.