What is the fastest car in the world?
The Bugatti Veyron set a new all-time speed record as the "Fastest Production Car in the World", as recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records. The new high speed was set in two runs on July 4, 2010, with test driver Pierre Henri Raphanel reaching an average of 431.072 km/h (267.856 mph). This came three years after the Veyron lost its title to the SSC Ultimate Aero TT.
In 2007, driver Chuck Bigelow, 71, drove SSC's Ultimate Aero on a stretch of highway 221, clocking 414.31 kph (257.44 mph) on the first pass and 410.24 kph (254.91 mph) on the second pass to yield an official record speed of 412.28 kph (256.18 mph). It was the first time the title had been held by a United States auto manufacturer since the Ford GT40 claimed the record in 1967.
(see related link)
Three Fastest cars by Nominal Speed
- 2010 Bugatti Veyron goes 258 MPH has a W-18 engine and reaches 60 mph in 2.5s (top speed electronically limited)
- 2009 SSC Ultimate Aero can go 273 MPH using 1183 HP and reaches 60 mph in 2.7s (V-8 engine)
- Saleen S7 Twin Turbo Has a V-8 engine and goes 248 MPH, reaches 60 mph in 3.2s
* The fastest "road vehicle" is the Thrust SSC Which can go 753 MPH (1212 kph)though it's obviously not "street legal."
* JCB Diesel Max is the "world's fastest diesel car" with a top speed of 350 MPH (563 kph), but again is not a production model.
According to the Guinness Book (2009), the fastest production car is the Aero TT Supercar (though this may change soon.)
1937 - Mercedes-Benz W125 - 268.3mph on the German autobahn. Still has the world record for top speed on a public road1938 - auto union streamliner - 432km/h (268mph) 2012 - Bugatti veyron SS -431.072 km/h (267.856 mph) 2011- SSC aero - 256mph, on a highway in Washington state. ran out of road, wind tunnel testing says it should go 440km/h (273mph)2012 - Koenigsegg Agera R- manufacturer claims 442km/h (275mph) not yet proven
2012 - Barabus TKR manufacturer claims 270mph top speed2012 9ff
gt-9r manufacturer claims (414km/h 257mph)
The fastest car in the world is north American eagle