Asked in ComputersComputer TerminologyDownloader Viruses
What is thrashing in computer terminology?
June 06, 2011 7:45PM
Thrashing is a high paging activity. A process is thrashing if it is spending more time with paging rather than execution.
Thrashing is caused by under allocation of the minimum number of pages required by a process, forcing it to continuously page fault. The system can detect thrashing by evaluating the level of CPU utilization as compared to the level of multiprogramming.
- Global replacement algorithm.
- Under allocation of the minimum number of pages required by a process.
- Very high degree of multiprogramming.
- Reducing level or degree of multiprogramming.
- Use local replacement algorithm.
- While allocating check minimum sufficient frame required for a process.