Special Education

What kind of degree is needed to teach special education?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2009-07-10 03:09:06
2009-07-10 03:09:06

To teach special education within the public school system, you must have a bachelor's degree in an education program and state teachers certification. This will take four years to complete as a full-time student, and provided you take the degree as prescribed by the college or university.

User Avatar

Related Questions

Yes you do need a special education degree to be able to teach special education courses. You can visit this website for more information on obtaining your special education degree. http://www.specialeducationdegreezone.com/

You need to major in early childhood education to teach younger children. Most schools offer that degree.

sex education (s.e) and physical education is needed to teach at high school this are the subjects below the word "education"

There are no legal things saying that you could not teach these classes. However, most places would like you to have a degree in special education teaching.

To teach special education within the public school system within the United States, you must have a bachelor's degree in a special education teacher program from a regionally accredited college or university and state teacher certification. There are alternative routes that may be possible, however you would have to contact the State Board of Education, within the state you would like to teach for information. I know there are alternative routes where individuals can obtain certification to teach within the mainstream, however I do not know if it would apply to special education.

Yes, but unfortunately there is no longer a special education degree in K-12... I know that the SUNY system definitely has a program for "Childhood with Special Education" because I have it (from SUNY GENESO).. To be certified k-12 in special education, there are a couple of graduate programs that allow you to achieve it... or, depending on which subject area you "concentrate" or "minor" in.. you can be certified to just teach that subject area in special education k-12.. hope this helps! :)

It depends on what you want to teach and where you want to teach. If you want to teach children at the elementary level, a degree in elementary education would be sufficient. If you want to teach at the high school level, a degree in secondary education or a degree in the subject you want to teach (history, math, English, biology, etc.) would be necessary. If you wish to teach at the college level, usually a Master's degree in a specific field is the bare minimum. A doctorate (PhD) is usually preferred, particularly if you desire a full professorship.

It takes two years to earn an associates degree (not needed if you are earning a bachelors degree), four years to earn a bachelors degree, and then one to two additional years to earn a masters degree after you get your bachelors degree. Usually, an associates or bachelors degree in early childhood education or a related field is all that is needed to teach in preschool.

need a degree in education and a secondary degree to teach high school

A person should teach special education if they are very patient and loving. One shouldn't be forced into teaching special needs students as that will hamper both the teacher and students. Special students, as the title suggests, need that extra amount of effort from their teachers to get better and if you can manage that, you should teach special education.

Bachelors Degree and cirtification to teach

Eastern State University seems to be an excellent place to go to get a special education degree. They offer classes for learning how to teach children with emotional disturbances, speech impairments, vision impairments and many others.

Special education is education for children with learning disorders and meets their needs. Lessons are often paced for the children

Yes, the minimum educational requirement to teach at a college or university is a master's degree.

It depends on what level of education. Most colleges and universities require that an instructor must have at least a Masters degree and have taken a graduate course in the area he/she will be teaching. Viper1

It depends on where you are trying to teach and whether you are subbing or attempting to teach as a full time job, but most full time teaching jobs require a Master's Degree.

Yes there is special education schools for teachers. Although it is actually a field of study and not a school. As for actual special education schools to teach in there are many out there.

In order for you to teach for special education you need a licence, not just the certification. Depending the state in which you teach, you might have other requirements required from the state.

Yes. However to teach, you may need more degrees or certificates, depending on what you want to teach and at what level.

A degree in psychology is typically not a degree to teach. To teach in a public school system you must have a bachelor's degree in a education program with state teacher's certification. You can specialize in specific areas.

This is a degree for people looking to teach music classes. Band, Choir, etc.

It depends where you live. In most, if not all states, you must have at least a bachelor's degree to be a teacher. What state you are in depends upon what area your degree can be in. I'll talk about Texas since that's what I'm familiar with. In Texas, you can have a degree in any area, but you must pass a teacher certification for whatever area you want to teach in. There is a specific test to take for special education, jsut as you would for science, math, etc. So, in conclusion, a bachelor's degree and certification in your state in special ed.

Secondary school special education teachers are trained to teach children with special needs in grades K-12. Special education teachers must work with an individualized education plan. This plan is designed to help special education teachers properly teach each special needs child in a class. Typically, a special education teacher will work with students who are mentally, emotionally, or physically impaired.RequirementsSpecial education teachers must have adequate training to properly teach students with special needs. Typically, a special education teacher must possess a four year degree in special education. Many special education degrees focus on specific areas of the field such as children with mild, moderate or severe disabilities. Individuals must have a certain amount of student teaching time before they may officially teach in a classroom. Before any individual may begin teaching special education, the PRAXIS test must be successfully taken and passed. The amount of schooling required to become a special education teacher may vary from state-to-state.Teachers must also be state certified before entering a classroom. State certification information will vary depending on each state's requirements. Individuals may opt to become licensed in general special education, which enables teachers to teach students in kindergarten through twelfth grade or become licensed in a certain area such as behavior disorders.Certain students studying to become special education teachers may wish to obtain a master's degree in special education once a bachelor's degree is earned.SalaryMany teachers who just enter the field of special education are paid a salary of around $33,000. Certain special education teachers may earn less money depending on the school district. Experienced special education teachers can earn upwards of $70,000 depending on previous experience, as well as location of the school.The average salary for a special education teacher is around $50,000. Many special education teachers earn more money by coaching students, as well as teaching classes during the summer months.The demand for special education teachers is expected to grow in the coming years. More special needs students are entering the school systems. More teachers are needed to keep up with the growing amount of special needs students in the school system.

yes you need a masters or a bachelors degree

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.