answersLogoWhite
Scientists
History, Politics & Society

What percentage of all scientists who have ever lived are alive today?

123

Top Answer

User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-11-07 23:10:46
2015-11-07 23:10:46

About 90%. The reason that the number is so high is that while people were discovering things via some method that resembled the scientific method, "scientist" was not an occupation. Science was pretty much invented by Sir Isaac Newton and the number of scientists has exploded and increased exponentially since this time, hence the large percentage of scientists alive today.

For a full analysis of this question, including research on the number of PhD's granted in major countries since 1900, see Eric Gastfriend's work on the Future of Life Institute's blog. He concludes that around 80-90% is probably correct.

1

Related Questions

User Avatar

Scientists estimate that the species alive today make up less than 0.1% of those that have ever lived. See: http://www.sparknotes.com/biology/evolution/speciation/section3.rhtml

User Avatar

Scientists haven't identified all the species that are alive today because different species are emerging ("being made") all the time.

User Avatar

Stephen hawkings and Jane Goodall

User Avatar

There are encountless animals that live in the present and that lived in the past. It maybe so that scientists have not found the remains of some animals that lived in the past.

User Avatar

the resurch documents that many blacks alive today have grandparents today who were slaves authoe no percentage it did say many

User Avatar

there are about 0.1% that are still alive today that have ever lived on earth. hope i helped

User Avatar

No, Microraptor lived and died 120 million years ago.

User Avatar

Most studies place the total number of human beings to have ever lived at 60 billion to 120 billion. That would mean that between 5% and 10% are alive today.

User Avatar

Scientists believe that changes in the Earth's climate cause extinction of trees;P

User Avatar

Dinosaurs (in the traditional sense of the word), lived between 230 and 65.5 million years ago. However, considering that scientists usually count birds as dinosaurs, they are still alive today!

User Avatar

No. She lived a long time ago and died on 24 March 1603.

User Avatar

99%. The remaining 1% of the dinosaurs that lived on were the birds. Technically, you could say all of the dinosaurs died out, as in all of their species, because all the bird species alive back then are not around today.


Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.