You should visit your healthcare provider to learn about your
individual risk for cardiovascular disease and steps you can take
to decrease this risk. Here are a few general guidelines:
• Stop smoking cigarettes and avoid passive smoke.
• Take steps to maintain normal blood pressure.
• Keep your cholesterol levels under the normal range.
• Learn how to control your diabetes, if you have diabetes.
• Achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
• Engage in physical activity - either sports or exercise for at least 30 minutes five times a week.
• Eat a heart healthy diet. Your daily diet should include high-fiber foods and at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables.
• Learn ways to reduce and manage your stress.