What responsibilities go with being a video game designer?
Other people on a Game development team include:
- Level designers - design playable levels, for characters to interact with
- Character Designers - design playable characters to control, and non-playable character to interact with
- Sound Designers - create, mix and synthesize sound effects that match different scenarios and actions in the game
- Programmers - Make everything that is supposed to happen in the game work without noticeable flaws according to the Game Designer.
- Animators - Animate actions for characters, scenes and objects to perform, as well as animating cutscenes
There are not many skills needed, but you do have to have experience playing video games. ^ The last answer to this question is completely bogus. You need a lot of skills for it. To be a video game tester is experience playing video games. The question is "What skills are needed to become a video game designer?" NOT "Are there any skills needed to become a video game designer?"
Despite the crap you hear all around a Game Designer at entry level makes around 35k a year. Based on experience a basic game designer can make up to 75k a year. Lead game designers and Game Directors make a significant amount more being in the 100k-125k a year zone. Overall, anyone who thinks they are going to have fun being a game designer is sorely mistaken, the pay is moderate and imagine trying to…