Law & Legal Issues
Credit and Debit Cards

What to do if person purchases goods then stops payment on credit card?

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
December 25, 2014 2:51AM

Take out a warrant for the person for theft by conversion. This is theft unless the person can convince the Judge that they had a good reason to stop the payment. If they returned the item in the same condition as received. You can also file a suit in civil court if you are not sure you can hold up the criminal complaint. The civil suit can get you a judgement for the amount lost plus costs. I would send them a notarized demand letter before taking this actions so that you can show the Judge that you gave them an opportunity to make payment good.