Asked in
Chocolate

What will happen if dogs have chocolate?

Answer

User Avatar
Wiki User
December 20, 2014 9:38PM

If it's proper, high cocoa chocolate, it can actually make them sick. Regular chocolate, like in snack bars, isn't dangerous as such. But it can make them fat eventually.

User Avatar
Wiki User
December 20, 2014 5:17PM

A human's liver is far better at dealing with certain kinds of chemicals than a dog's or cat's is. A lot of foods that are perfectly fine for humans are poisonous to dogs and/or cats.Chocolate contains several chemicals called xanthenes (caffeine is one type of xanthene) that are toxic to dogs. What happens depends on how big the dog is, how much chocolate they eat, and whether it's dark or milk chocolate (dark chocolate has more xanthenes than milk chocolate). If a large dog eats a small piece of milk chocolate it probably won't do much harm, but you shouldn't intentionally feed it to them.