A person with type O blood can only get a transfusion using type O blood. Someone with type A or B blood, however, can get a transfusion with their own type blood or with type O blood, which is known as a universal blood type.
People are rarely infected with HIV through blood transfusion now. Scientists have not always known what HIV was or how to detect it. During this time, many people were infected with HIV as a result of blood transfusion. Thankfully, now every blood sample collected is tested for a variety of diseases, including HIV.
Blood received in a transfusion must have the same antigens. Type O blood does not have any antigens present were as A, B, and AB do. If you get a transfusion that has different antigens (incompatible blood), the antibodies in your plasma will destroy the donor blood cells. This is called a transfusion reaction, and it occurs immediately when incompatible blood is transfused. A transfusion reaction can be mild or cause a serious illness and even death. If this may occur, an immunosuppressant can be given (in most cases) to save the patient.
Regardless of you blood type, should you need an emergency blood transfusion is needed and the recipient's blood type is not known, anyone can receive type O- blood. Type O- blood (which has no antigen on its surface) will not react with antibodies in the recipient's plasma. Anyone with type O- blood is called a universal donor.
O positive is a rare blood type. There are very few complications with this blood type that are known. If a person has O blood type then they can receive any type of blood transfusion.
The most common type of blood is O positive. This type of blood is known as the universal donor because neither A nor B antigens are found on the surface of the red blood cells and this type of blood therefore can be given to an individual with any blood type in need of transfusion.
While type O blood is known as being the universal donor, it is not a universal recipient. Type O blood can be transfused into any other blood type, but someone with type O blood could only receive a transfusion of type O blood.
The only known cause for a human being to have no blood is drainage, which either causes death or can be performed post mortem.
It produces what is known as a transfusion reaction. The blood cells burst open and cause pain, difficulty breathing, shakes, and sweating. If it is severe it can cause organ failure, cardiovascular collapse and death.
No. At one time, type O negative blood was considered the universal blood donor type. This implied that anyone — regardless of blood type — could receive type O negative blood without risking a transfusion reaction. But it's now known that even type O negative blood may have antibodies that cause serious reactions during a transfusion.
Not exactly. Human blood may have positive (ca. 80%) or negative (remaining 20%) Rhesus factor. It means that that a substance known as Rhesus factor is either found or not in a human blood test. Transfusion of "positive" blood to a "negative" recipient may result in very negative consequences (but not vise versa) . A problem known as Rhesus conflict may arise when a Rhesus-negative woman is pregnant with a Rhesus-positive baby.The name Rhesus factor comes from Rhesus monkey in which it was first found.