Where can you buy freon?

Not just anyone can go out and buy refrigerants!

The following people can buy any type of refrigerant under the EPA's sales restriction (for instance, R-11, R-12, R-123, R-22, and R-12), except for "small cans" containing less than 20 pounds of R-12:

technicians certified to service stationary appliances (i.e., Type I, Type II, Type III, or Universal certification) by a Section 608 EPA-certified testing organization employers of a Section 608 certified technicians (or the employer's authorized representative) if the employer provides the wholesaler with written evidence that he or she employs at least one properly certified technician manufacturers of air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment, where the refrigerant is used in the original manufacture of the equipment

[From Refrigerant Sales Restriction at epa.gov]

Freon is a brand name and you can purchase it at a mechanical refrigeration dealership provided you have a license. It all depends on the type you need. 134A for cars you can find at Walmart or car part stores, R12 cannot be purchased because it is outlawed, and R22 can be found at a furnace store/mechanical dealership. There are many different types.

"Freon" can be found on e-Bay, but it is very expensive and no longer legal to buy or sell in the U.S. other than Arizona. There are environmentally friendly freon replacements available such as "Johnsen's Freeze 12" or "enviroclean"

There is a new product from Red Tek. It is called R12a. It works in all systems and is legal everywhere as far as I know. Google Red Tek or go to to find out more.

Depending on your location, R134a is available at parts stores and Walmart.