answersLogoWhite

0

Why are compounds dangerous?

Updated: 6/17/2024
User Avatar

Wiki User

12y ago

Best Answer

Not all compounds are dangerous; but some are toxic or radioactive, inflammable or explosive, corrosive or with a disagreeable smell, others are dangerous for the environment, others contribute to the greenhouse effect, etc.

User Avatar

Wiki User

12y ago
This answer is:
User Avatar
More answers
User Avatar

AnswerBot

1d ago

Compounds can be dangerous due to their chemical reactivity, toxicity, or flammability. Some compounds can react dangerously with other substances, cause harm to living organisms, or pose a risk of fire or explosion under certain conditions. It is important to handle and store compounds carefully to minimize risks.

This answer is:
User Avatar

User Avatar

Wiki User

12y ago

For the sake of this discussion, consider "acute" poisoning: one takes into one's system a poison whose effects are immediately (or very soon thereafter) observed. By implication, a cumulative poison is one which is taken into the system in such small quantities that its effects are not observed or it is, otherwise, harmless. However, cumulative poisons, e.g., lead and Mercury, have a long excretion half-life - the period of time it takes for the body to eliminate one-half of the poison originally taken in. As a consequence, if one takes in additional cumulative poison before the previous dose was entirely excreted, the effects of the new dose are added to those of the remaining previous dose, or put in another way, the effects are cumulative.

The issue with cumulative poisons is not that they are poisonous, per se, (goodness knows we poison ourselves every day in one way or another), the issue is people who give themselves a regular dose of the cumulative poison until toxic levels are reached. In extreme cases, widespread mercury poisoning, e.g., has occurred in Japan and other Pacific Island communities whose primary diet consisted of contaminated fish.

Lead poisoning, the primary environmental threat to children (due to ingestion of paint containing lead) continues to be a problem in many areas; mercury poisoning is uncommon, if not rare. In the US, extraordinary events aside, mercury poisoning is a consequence of eating contaminated fish. As a result, the CDC, et al., publish various recommendations specifying the types and amounts of fish to eat on a weekly basis. The Alaska Epidemiology Department publishes an extensive "guideline" detailing mercury contamination in a variety of "Alaska" fish with recommendations for the general population, as well as pregnant women, a growing concern. Most conscientious companies are glad to furnish mercury data as it relates to their products, which should be consulted if mercury poisoning is a concern.

This answer is:
User Avatar

User Avatar

Wiki User

14y ago

Basically because lead interferes with the proper function of several biochemical processes. For example, it blocks the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor site in cells in the brain, which produces the neurological symptoms commonly associated with lead poisoning. It also inhibits a couple of different enzymes that are necessary to synthesize heme, which means that it causes a kind of anemia.

This answer is:
User Avatar

User Avatar

Wiki User

13y ago

pure lead "Pb" in the Periodic Table of elements is very poisonous when it gets inside your body.

This answer is:
User Avatar

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: Why are compounds dangerous?
Write your answer...
Submit
Still have questions?
magnify glass
imp
Continue Learning about Natural Sciences

Why is rust in teapots dangerous?

Rust in teapots can be dangerous because it can contain harmful compounds that may leach into the tea, contaminating it. Ingesting these compounds can be harmful to health, causing toxicity or other adverse effects. It is important to avoid using rusty teapots to ensure food safety.


Is ytterbium dangerous?

Ytterbium itself is not considered dangerous to humans in its elemental form. However, ytterbium compounds can be toxic if ingested or inhaled, so proper handling and safety precautions are necessary when working with these materials.


What are the dangers associated with organic compounds?

Some dangers associated with organic compounds include toxicity, flammability, and chemical reactions. Organic compounds can be toxic to humans and animals if ingested or inhaled, especially if they are concentrated or have accumulated in the body. Many organic compounds are also highly flammable and can pose a fire hazard. Additionally, organic compounds can react with other chemicals to form harmful substances or release toxic gases.


What is a dangerous poison and metalloid?

Arsenic is considered a dangerous metalloid as it is highly toxic to humans. It can be found in various forms, such as inorganic arsenic compounds, which are used in industrial applications and agriculture. Exposure to arsenic can lead to serious health issues, including skin lesions, cancer, and organ damage.


Is carbon dangerous or poisonous if smelled or eaten?

Carbon itself is not dangerous or poisonous. However, inhaling or consuming substances that contain carbon in harmful forms, such as carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide, can be dangerous and potentially deadly. It is essential to avoid exposure to these harmful carbon compounds and to ensure proper ventilation in enclosed spaces.

Related questions

What is an alpha toxin?

An alpha toxin is a type of protein toxin produced by certain bacteria that can cause damage to host cells by disrupting cell membranes. This disruption can lead to cell death, tissue damage, and contribute to the overall pathogenicity of the bacteria.


How can fluorine be so dangerous in its elemental form but so useful in compounds?

It is still dangerous in some of its compounds. That said though, one of the reasons it is dangerous in its pure form is that it is so highly reactive. (Incidentally, fluorine exists in molecular form, F2, rather than elemental form, F.)


What is the similarity of ammonia and sulphur dioxide?

Both are inorganic compounds, gases, dangerous to be inhaled.


What would be more dangerous near fire ionic or covalent compound?

Ionic compounds would be more dangerous near fire because they tend to dissociate into their constituent ions when in high temperatures, leading to potentially explosive reactions. Covalent compounds are less likely to undergo such rapid and violent reactions in the presence of fire.


What dangerous precipitation is produced when sulfur compounds react with water in the atmosphere?

Acid rain is produced when sulfur compounds react with water in the atmosphere, leading to the formation of sulfuric acid and other acidic compounds. This type of precipitation can be harmful to the environment, causing damage to ecosystems, buildings, and infrastructure.


What dangerous precipitation is produce when sulfur compounds react with water the atmosphere?

Acid rain It is called Acid rain.


What Is dangerous precipitation is produced when sulfur compounds react with water in the atmosphere?

Acid rain It is called Acid rain.


What are the dangers associated with organic compounds?

Some dangers associated with organic compounds include toxicity, flammability, and chemical reactions. Organic compounds can be toxic to humans and animals if ingested or inhaled, especially if they are concentrated or have accumulated in the body. Many organic compounds are also highly flammable and can pose a fire hazard. Additionally, organic compounds can react with other chemicals to form harmful substances or release toxic gases.


Can sodium hurt us?

It depends on what is meant by sodium. The Sodium molecule by itself, as well as several sodium compounds can be extremely dangerous if consumed or touched. Sodium Hydroxide is a main ingredient in Lye which is a drain cleaner. It is dangerous to eat or touch it. Sodium hypochlorite is common household bleach. It is dangerous if ingested. Sodium Chloride is common table salt and commonly used in foods. There are many chemical compounds that include sodium. Most are not meant to eaten but many are.


What is dangerous about carbon?

While most carbon compounds are completely safe and in many cases necesarry for life as we know it, there are some carbon compounds or carbon molecules that are carcinogenic (cancer causing), and others that can form into highly toxic chemicals (cyanide is one of these).


Why are the halogen elements so dangerous in their uncombined forms?

Halogen elements are dangerous in their uncombined forms because they are highly reactive due to their strong tendency to gain an electron to achieve a full outer electron shell. This reactivity can lead to them forming corrosive acids, toxic fumes, or explosive compounds with other elements. Additionally, they can easily react with organic compounds, potentially causing harmful chemical reactions.


Is exposure to uranium yellow cake dangerous?

The simple exposure to natural uranium is not so dangerous because the gamma radiation emitted is not so energetic and also it is auto-absorbed in the uranium material. The danger is to inhale or to ingest uranium compounds.