Asked in

Why is a graduated cylinder more accurate than a beaker?


User Avatar
Wiki User
May 07, 2015 5:21PM

A beaker is a simple laboratory piece of glassware that resembles a coffee mug without the handle. On its side are markings denoting approximately how much liquid is inside.

Laboratory beakers are generally used for stirring, mixing and heating liquids found in laboratory settings.

A graduated cylinder is a standard piece of laboratory glassware used to measure the volume of an object or amount of liquid. As its name indicates, it is a glass cylinder with marks along the side similar to those on a measuring cup. The volume is read by looking at the top of the fluid from the side and reading the mark on the glass from the lowest portion of the lens-like meniscus of the liquid.