Does a circuit breaker need to be replaced if it will not go back to the on position after it trips and is switched to off?
Not necessarily, you may have a genuine fault on the circuit that needs attention...
First thing to do is unplug and disconnect everything on that circuit and try again. If it then resets properly, one of the items you've disconnected is faulty.
With the trip reset (power on), plug in each item one by one and see if it trips again. Whatever you are plugging in when it trips is more than likely the faulty item.
The likely suspects are usually Washing Machines, Dish Washers, Kettles, cookers and Microwaves.
It could be fault, but better to be safe than sorry and check the circuit first.
If not entire sure what you are doing, get a qualified electrician to look at it.
If the trip does need replacing get a qualified electrician to do it!
36 people found this useful
1997 Lincoln town car lights flicker you replaced light switch lights still still go out must be a relay or circuit breaker where is the circuit breaker located?
Answer . \nBad ground.
Answer . When it comes to replacing, it is a matter of buying the same amperage breaker, popping out the old one and pushing in the new one. Top comes out first.
Do some electrical breakers when they are tripped go into the off position instead of the normal tripped position I have a cutler hammer breaker that tripped but is in the off position?
Some breakers can trip totally off. If the breaker is continuallyturning off without a wiring issue, then the breaker could be goingbad.
You may need to first switch it on before off.
Not usually. If they are being used as switches to turn off light banks in warehouses they have to be replaced frequently as they are designed to be a switch. Breakers are mea…nt to just stay on and trip on shorts or overloads. Continuous tripping and resetting without finding out what the fault that is tripping them is, will weaken the trip mechanism to a point that they won't reset any more. These have to be replaced.
yes it can because so many devices we have now don't shut off when you turn them off with the device switch. Be carful when doing this that you don't power off a refrigerator …or freezer though.
What if your circuit breaker started tripping with no change of things plugged into an outlet Does this mean the circuit breaker needs to be replaced?
Circuit breakers can degrade over time but it would be better to get a competant electrician to do it. It might also mean you have too many things plugged into one outlet. Som…etimes one circuit breaker may protect several outlets so it might be tripping because of a change in another outlet. ELECTRICTY IS DANGEROUS!!!! Don't do it yourself.
What will cause a new circuit breaker to trip out continually and not reset when moved to the off position?
A short straight to ground. Unplug and disconnect everything fromthe circuit and then reconnect things one at a time until thebreaker trips. That is your problem. (Also could …be a bad breaker)
The need to de energize the circuit the breaker is feeding is a cause to have a circuit breaker switched off. If you are referring to a breaker tripping off, the cause would b…e from an overload condition being applied to the circuit, the breaker sensing it and shutting the circuit off.
the breaker goes to trip position
When you turn on lets say your microwave lights in the back side of your house go dim then go completely off sometimes coming back on on there own things is none of the circuit breakers are tripped?
In this case I would assume that your power lines are at fault, or your protection (the breakers) is not adequate for the job (too big values for tripping). This problem is a …little complex. You see, every cable running through your walls (and extension cords) is rated at a certain power level (or, rather, by amps at the rated voltage). That has to do with how many electrons (or whatever is used to transport charge in your power lines) are free to "do the job" and with the heat dissipation of the said wire - and that is directly related to the wire's diameter and materials used to construct it. Both of these properties end up having a great influence on the power rating. If you try to "pump" more power through a conductor (a cable) that wasn't rated for it, two things will happen: a) the equipment connected to it will experience "brownouts" (voltage drops, but not dropping completely - just 'enough') b) the conductor (cable) will heat up greatly, even to the point of melting(!) The brownout problem is mainly caused by heat lossess (heat increase is roughly proportional to resistance increase, so more heat means more power lost in transmission). But this heat is a significant fire hazard as well! This usually happens when you try to connect too many devices to one outlet, or too powerful devices where they shouldn't go. This is a hazard in many ways and should be avoided as much as possible. Especially so in TN-C installations, where the 'ground' wire joins up with the 'neutral' wire! The ground wire is designed to remove unwanted (dangerous) voltages from metal cases of devices -- if the neutral wire fails first (by burning out), there is a high risk that the voltage will find a return-path through the metal case of the device (!), becoming a significant shock hazard to the unwary operator. As for the circuit breakers, the most probable cause for them not tripping is that they're overrated for your electrical installation , and as such, they will NOT protect your installation from melting or catching fire. Why is this so? Well, as it should be clear by now, the circuit breakers' rating should match the power rating of your installation - this is one of the cases where "more" doesn't mean "better". If they're underrated, they will break for "aparently no reason" because they will allow less current than your installation can handle; if they're overrated, on the other hand, the wires in the walls (or in devices) will heat up much faster and will probably fail before the current running through them even approaches the breaker's trip rating, because the breaker will allow more current than your installation can handle. This matching should be performed by at least someone who knows the exact details of your home's electrical grid, and ideally by a qualified electrician/electrical engineer.
No, this isn't necessary. The circuit breaker protects your home by avoiding an overcharging caused by a short-circuit. It's advisable blocking the access to the breaker.
The operating handle will be found in mid throw. On smaller type electrical breakers there is a small trip indicator window and a red flag will be visible when the breaker has… tripped. On larger physical size breakers you will definitely see that the handle is not in the off or on position. To reset any size breaker move the handle to the full off position. You might hear a click but you will definitely feel the internal mechanism re-latch to the off position. This has reset the breaker, move the handle to the on position and normal electrical power will have been restored. If you get an instantaneous trip after a reset do not try and reset the breaker again. Find the cause of the short circuit and get it repaired. Constant and repetitive resetting will destroy the breaker and increase the temperature of the short circuit. If the short circuit is in a highly combustive area this is not good. Find the problem and get it repaired.
Means there is an overload on electricity
A circuit breaker has a specific amperage trip setting. That is the number on the handle of the breaker. When an amperage that is drawn by a load goes higher than the setting …on the breaker, the breaker will trip off. This tripping action opens the circuit and drops off the load that was causing a higher than normal amperage.
For the entire circuit to go out, the breaker has to trip. The breaker tripping is what causes the loss of power to everything pulling power from that circut. Any single power… surge at any point along the circut can cause it. If you have experienced what you are questioning, I suggest you have an electrician take a look at your wiring. You may have serious issues. Breakers a designed to protect the wiring from getting too hot. It's a safety feature for your appliances, your home and those who live in it.
You have a loose connection somewhere. May be at the service panelitself. Check the circuit feeding those rooms at the breaker andcheck the neutral wire connection. If they ar…e good these rooms maybe feed out of a junction box which should be accessible if it waswired to code. Find that junction box and check all theconnections. These are sometimes very hard to find.