How many dimes make 1 oz of silver?
Presuming that you are referring to US dimes issued between 1875 and 1964 (dimes older than 1875 had different weights and/or fineness), dimes weigh 2.50 grams and are 90% silver (the remaining 10% is copper). This means that the ASW (Actual Silver Weight) is 0.07234 troy ounces. Thus, it would require 14 dimes (this number is rounded up; the precise number is 13.8236 dimes) to have one troy ounce of silver.
+ 182 others found this useful
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
Qblinks is a smart phone remote controller and notification center. When did the Qblinks adventure begin?View Full Interview
Any combination of 90-percent silver U.S. coins which have a face value of US$1.00 contains 0.715 troy ounces of 99.9-percent silver (0.7234 troy ounces if uncirculated), exce…pt for the silver dollars (Morgan and Peace) which contain .7736 troy ounces of silver. In other words, a full troy ounce of 99.9-percent silver is contained in any combination of 90-percent silver U.S. coins which have a face value of US$1.40. Therefore, a roll of uncirculated 1964 dimes contains 3.617 ounces of pure Silver, while a roll of circulated 1964 dimes contains 3.575 ounces of pure silver. (MORE)
War nickels were made from mid 1942 to 1945. They contain 35% silver. It would take just under 18 war nickels to make a ounce of silver. The current melt value of a war nickel… is $1.98. (MORE)
For modern U.S. quarters like you find in change, none. They don't contain any silver - they're made of copper and nickel. For quarters dated 1964 and earlier, each one conta…ins 5.625 gm of pure silver, almost exactly 1/5 of an ounce. So 5 old quarters contain a total of 1 oz of silver. (MORE)
Soldering silver wire into homemade jewelry is a rewarding and easy process. Silver soldering is the process of joining two pieces of metal, in this case wire, together using …a melted alloy known as solder. The tools and materials are relatively inexpensive and the process is simple enough that anyone (MORE)
With the rising price of silver, more people are collecting silver coins. However, counterfeiters trying to make a quick buck are turning out more fakes than ever. If you're a… coin collector, you don't want to lose money over fake silver coins in your collection. Luckily, there are easy ways (MORE)
If you are considering some of your silver jewelry or collectibles, there are a number of things that you should know. You could simply walk into a local pawn shop and take wh…atever they offer you, but if you take the time to learn a little about silver before you (MORE)
Except for the famous "war nickels" made from mid-1942 to 1945, the answer is "none", because all other US nickels don't contain silver. Since 1866, the coin has been made of …an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel. If you have war nickels with a large mint mark on the back, these do contain a small amount of silver - 1.75 gm to be exact. Because one troy ounce is about 31.1 gm, you'd need 31.1 / 1.75, or about 18 war nickels to contain a troy ounce of silver. (MORE)
14 Mercury Head dimes = a little more than ounce of silver. Each dime has .07234oz of pure silver in them.
That's a trick question with at least 3 answers: If you're referring to modern (1965 or later) dimes the answer is zero because all circulating dimes issued since then are ma…de of cupronickel, not silver. If you're referring to 1964 and earlier, these coins weighed 2.5 gm and were 90% fine so they had 2.25 gm of pure silver. For these coins: > a standard American ounce is 28.35 gm, so 28.35 / 2.25 = 12.6 dimes. > a troy ounce (used for precious metals) is 31.11 gm so 31.11 / 2.25 = 13.8 dimes (MORE)