The question and answer are locked and cannot be edited.

Where can you get teacher's unemployment insurance?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

If you are looking for actual unemployment insurance (in case you're fired or laid off), then your employer is responsible for this. Your employer must pay into the state unemployment fund. If, your employer is a non-profit organization such as a religious school, etc., then the employer would probably not pay into the unemployment fund, so there is no unemployment insurance available for employees of this type of organization.

It is also important to mention that, depending on the state, substitute teachers who work only September through June may be eligible for unemployment benefits during the summer. Check with your local unemployment office for more information. In most cases, teachers are eligible for the same benefits as any other worker if the benefits are available.

From what I researched, substitute teacher's in California cannot receive unemployment benefits when they have "reasonable assurance" to work the following school year. However in the Los Angeles School District says it different. They have 2 ways of doing it. Please check out their website in the Related Link below, or go to the second Related Link below and on the left hand side, click substitute. Their web page says "When you call to start your claim, it is imperative that you tell the EDD representative that you are a 'Year Round' Substitute Teacher." The second solution: Once on the web page, download the substitute handbook. This handbooks says "When you call to start your claim, it is imperative that you tell the EDD representative that as as Substitute Teacher you do not have "reasonable assurance" to return to work, and they should refer to the EDD's procedures for the year 2005-2006, Unemployment Insurance Project Notice (UIPN #05-038). This will clarify your status as a Substitute Teacher who is eligible for unemployment benefits. This will eliminate the need for a follow-up phone interview. If the representative is not familiar with these new EDD procedures and inform you you are scheduled for a phone interview, ask to speak to a supervisor.
+ 12 others found this useful
Thanks for the feedback!

Can you collect unemployment insurance if you are pregnant?

Pregnancy aside, unemployment insurance is usually only available to those who have been fired or laid off. Voluntary quits or job abandonment can qualify on occasion if it is

Do employees pay for unemployment insurance?

No. Only employers pay unemployment taxes to the state who, in turn, pays the benefits to qualified unemployed workers. Unemployment Payments and the Law Each state pays

How do i Collect unemployment insurance in NYS?

  The simple answer is call the TCC at 1-888-209-8124 call wit h your preious employers information, your social security number, and you driver's license number. They wil

Who pays unemployment insurance benefits?

Unemployment Payments and the Law Each state pays its unemployed workers from the pool of unemployment taxes it collected from employers, based on their number of employees an

How much Does unemployment insurance pay in Utah?

  The highest paid quarter during your base period divided by 26 determines the benefit amount you will receive per week of unemployment, up to a maximum of $444 for new c

What is the purpose of unemployment insurance?

The main purpose of Unemployment insurance is to provide monthly entitlement to a person who loses his job by way of retrenchment unilaterally declared by the management of th

Is there unemployment insurance in India?

  ICICI Lombard has just recently come up with a new product on Unemployment Insurance which is actually available as a Top-Up to a general insurance. More information c

Do California Employees pay unemployment insurance?

Yes, they do. Unemployment is a federal program led by the  Department of Labor. In order to receive payments, you must have  worked the previous 12 months.