Can a 16-year-old male move in with someone else even if his mother does not want him to?

Persons under the age of majority need parental or guardian consent or permission from the court to voluntarily change residency. Most states do not have specified emancipation status, but in some cases will allow a minor to file a petition for early emancipation (sometimes referred to as Relief of Disability of Age). States establish laws outlining the emancipation process. In general, the minor needs to present proof that he/she is able to live w/o adult involvement. This means they have sufficient income from an independent source (not parents, grandparents, etc.) for shelter, food, clothing, medical care, educational purposes (if applicable) and so forth. The minor filing the petition is responsible for paying filing fees and other court costs as prescribed by law.