Children and the Law
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out

Can a 16-year-old move into her father's house without her mother's consent?



User Avatar
Wiki User

No, not just arbitrarily. You would need to secure court consent or a court order for this, otherwise it could land your father with legal problems. If the parents share joint custody, yes. If the mother is the primary or sole custodian then she could request the assistance of authorities to have the minor returned to her home if the minor moved against her mother's wishes.