Can a Canadian citizen married to a US citizen work in the US?

Yes, but they have to apply for and receive US immigration permission . Do not work until you have your Employment Authorization Card. You can get one by filing the I-765, which you should have filed in the package for the Adjustment of Status based on marriage to a US citizen.