Divorce and Marriage Law
Citizenship and Marriage

Can a US citizen marry someone in the USA who is still married in her country?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2007-10-09 00:32:08
2007-10-09 00:32:08

Of course not! The United States allows you to be married to a single person. If one of you is married, you cannot legally get married in the US. If you (or she) lie about it, then you are committing fraud and bigamy and the penalties get ugly.


Related Questions

Firstly, if the person is married in an another country and has come to a particular country illegally it is surely invalid to marry the person. Another thing, if the person is a citizen of that particular country in which he has married it is his right to first take a citizen of that country in which he is going to marry and then he can marry a person another to his own country.

Depends on what country but probably not.

You don't have to be a UK citizen to marry a UK citizen. However, you won't automatically be given the right to live in the UK just because you have married a UK citizen.

If you get married in a country other than the US.

Yes. It is illegal to marry ANYONE for citizenship purposes only. That person could be deported and barred from life from this country and the citizen that married him/her could face hefty fines or prison time.

Now, I may be incorrect, but I am fairly confident that if you marry someone who is not a legal citizen of the country, and YOU are a legal citizen of the country, then he will be issued a green card, which grants him permanent resident status.

yes he or she can marry in the U.S

You don't have to be a citizen to marry someone as long as you are a legal immigrant..

No it's not legal without a legal visa to get married.

nope! you have to be citizen to marry someone that is a citizens,

Marrying an American citizen does not give someone the right to stay in the country.

If the person is already married in the Philippines, that marriage would have to be legally annulled first. You can then marry the person even if she or he has a tourist visa. As long as you are a legal citizen of the U.S.A, your new wife or husband will automatically become a citizen as well.

The answer to your question will depend on which country you intend to get married in. The procedures in the UK will probably be different from the procedures in the US and in the US, different states will have different rules.

No, you will have to get divorced, you will almost certainly get sent to prison for bigamy.

1. Go to Caribbean. 2. Bring/find someone that wants to marry you. 3. Ask them to marry you or wait for them to ask you. Being a US citizen means nothing for getting engaged. Only if you wanted to get MARRIED in the Caribbean would you have to go through the process of the country where you are to be married for marriage licenses, and any additional costs, etc. which vary greatly from island to island.

If you live in the US... Can you marry him? It depends on where you live. In most states, yes you could. However, marrying someone does not make them a citizen, nor does it automatically give them the right to stay in the country.

A K1 visa is a document that allows a person that is not from Canada to marry someone who is a citizen of Canada. It is required to enter the country and conduct the marriage. If the citizen is wanting to travel outside of Canada to marry someone a different visa is needed.

They can get married in a court and the court can allow the Polish citizen free citizen ship

No. Only if you marry him, he will become a citizen.

he got married in 2009 and got a divorce. Diljit want to marry someone US citizen. but he likes neeru bajwa

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.