Can a child in an unstable state of mind be emancipated?

No. It is a misconception that the only needed is for minor emancipation is the filing of a petition in probate court and meeting the requirements established by state law. Very rarely is the act allowed and when a decree is granted it is generally under restricted conditions and subject to being rescinded at any time before the minor reaches the legal age of majority.