Children and the Law
Child Support

Can a mother give the grandmother custody without the child's father's consent?


User Avatar
Wiki User
October 22, 2005 1:11PM

NO. The court sees this as an opportunity for the mother to hide the child from the child's father. Any decisions of this matter MUST be decided by the courts with the father's knowledge, unless child is in danger of death from father. Sorry. That would depend upon the original custody order, if there is none in place, the parent who has physical custody of the minor child may place them in the temporary custody of a family member or qualified adult. The legal definition of temporary custody is three months or less, any longer term must be determined by the court in accordance with the laws of the state of residency. If the parents have joint custody either in a voluntary agreement or one ordered by the court, then both parents must agree to the temporary arrangement in writing.