Children and the Law
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out
College Finance

Can a parent be emancipated?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-08-21 19:30:50
2006-08-21 19:30:50

Emancipation generally relates to a minor being declared of legal age. A female minor who is a pregnant or has a child can ask the court to emancipate her for her to be eligible to receive public assistance. Being pregnant or having a child does not automatically make the minor female emancipated. On the other side, a parent can file a voluntary termination of parental rights petition to be relieved of their parental obligations to a minor child or children. The granting of such a request is based upon what is in the best interest of the child or children rather than the circumstances of the parent.


Related Questions

A parent does not become emancipated from their children. A child can become emancipated from a parent under certain circumstances. A parent can lose custody of a child if a court finds that they are not fit to parent. Generally, this would be based on a finding of abuse, neglect or abandonment.

you should because your emancipated, you don't need a parent anymore. that's whaat being emancipated is.

Becoming a parent has nothing to do with becoming emancipated so no.

You do not need parental consent to be emancipated. But it will make it more difficult and they do have to know about it.

you need to be 14 to be emancipated. yes it is possible, but you need to make that clear when you state your case, and to the parent you want to 'keep'. 16 to be emancipated from both.

Sorry but this doesn't seem to be a reason to be legally emancipated. If the parent is abusive or under the influence often when arguing then it is possible.

Being a parent does not make one an adult. Only age will make you an adult.

If a child is emancipated, the parent or guardian no longer has any say over the minor's life.

Children are not "emancipated" from child support. They are "entitled" to financial support by the non-custodial parent. In general, children become emancipated by leaving their parent(s)' house and becoming self-supporting. Child support is usually not due for an emancipated child.

No, having a baby in Utah does not mean that you are automatically emancipated. Having a baby just means that you are now a parent.

An emancipated minor is legally an adult and should not require parental consent for anything.

no i wouldn't think so as long as you have permisson from your parent or guardian to be there or you are emancipated.

No, once they are married they are emancipated.

Only to make decisions regarding the baby and medical decisions for themselves. They are not emancipated in any other way.

There is nothing wrong with a parent allowing their child to move out. That does not relieve the parent of their responsibilities for the minor.

A pregnant minor or one who is already a parent is not emancipated apart from regarding their health or the child. And adopted children are legally like the biological ones to the adoptive parent. This means you are not emancipated until you are 18 and can only then decide where to go or move.

A 13yr old can not divorce a parent, but can become legally emancipated. This requires the child to have some sort of profit, so a job, and the parent usually has to be abusive. It is very hard to become legally emancipated, so it is usually worth it to suck it up and deal with them. Sorry!

It will depend on the state or country involved. It is possible to get emancipated in some places at 16, if they can support themselves.

{| |- | No, it isn't likely. Being a parent, or being pregnant, has no bearing on your ability to support yourself and your child. Only about half the states allow you to get emancipated. Of those most require you to be at least 16 to get emancipated. |}

no you have to be emancipated by a parent,otherwise you would be considered a runaway...

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.