Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2007-01-30 18:43:56

This is not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Consult the specific laws for the state and county in which you reside for the rules that apply. In most states, any 18 year old is considered an adult and is capable of deciding when and where they reside. They have the ability to contract for housing. SOME states allow minors to become emancipated under specific circumstances, but this is not just a matter of filling out some paperwork. A minor is the responsibility of their parents until such time as they reach the age of majority or are legally emancipated. The parents are required to provide for the support of their minor children. If the parents give permission, the minor can live in another location. Such permission does not relieve the parents of the responsibility to provide support. If the parents do not give permission, the minor can be considered a runaway. Charges may apply to individuals that aid and abet such runaways, particularly if they are under the age of consent. In some states it is my understanding that this is not enforced for 17 year olds that leave home. If you are subject to abuse, you should contact social services for your area. They will assist you in getting out of the bad environment and into a safe place.


Your Answer

Related Questions

The ways in which you get emancipated (separated from ones parents) varies from place to place. Generally, one must be able to prove they can be independent and support themselves alone.

As long as his parents are not abusing him or haven't kicked him out of the house, there's not much you can do except be his friend. The boy needs to be patient, and endure his parents until he is 18. Offer emotional support and perhaps suggest that he join a support group.

not unless you can support yourself and are equpped with necessary life lesson that get you started.

They are: intermittent support, limited support, extensive support, and pervasive support.

If the parents are divorced, child support continues beyond the normal cutoff age, however married parents are not under this same obligation. The adult can apply for and receive SSI.

Only if you are mentally challenged or handicapped to a point where you can not take care of yourself and had it since childhood. Then parents can get a court order to keep supporting you. If you are healthy - of course not.

You need to have permission from your parents and be able to show the court that you can support yourself financially without the help of any friends, relatives or social agency.

The answer is yes. Legally, at 17 you may move out of your parents house in Wisconsin. (at the age of 17 with the requirements of having a place to go and a means of support being met.)

YES. In Georgia, you are legally emancipated at seventeen years of age, not eighteen. Look-up the juvenile law center on the inter-net. It has all of the information that you need regarding the legality of this issue.

Only biological parents are required to support their children.Only biological parents are required to support their children.Only biological parents are required to support their children.Only biological parents are required to support their children.

Emancipation can result from a mutual agreement between the parents and the child or it can be ordered by the court, in spite of the parents' objections if the child can show that they are no longer reliant on the parents for support. Emancipation also occurs when the child reaches the age of majority (usually 18) unless the parents can show that the child is mentally unfit to care for himself / herself.

18 is not the age for stopping child support in all states. If it is 18 in your state, by the time you get a court hearing the child will have aged out. see links below

children still have a problem making there own decisions and thats what parents are for, to help they children make the right decisions and to support them financially and mentally hrough out there life

Yes of course, parents are only person that can support their own children but if their children is have a work they can survive even there's no support from their parents.

Well, if you can't wait the 6 months and you leave and your parents freak, your best bet would be to go to court and get emancipated. If your parents aren't going to care, just leave. You don't need that.

The parents of a ward of the state will not receive any child support. They were determined to be unfit parents, and do not have a child to support.

You are only a child in the eyes of your parents, and especially with that attitude, legally you are an adult and have to support yourself. In some states child support has to be paid to the custodial parent until the child is 21 if they go to college. If you got a guardian now they would have the right to decide everything for you but not support you. Only parents have to do that until legal age or longer if you are mentally disabled for instance. So you better get a job like all the other adults.

usually yes, as long as the 18 year old is mentally compentant. even if they aren't, they could be wards of the state.

All mentally retarded children have emotions and they understand love and care. They also understand who likes them and who do not (in most cases). Hence it is necessary that these children are given more love and care as they are special and it is not by their choice they are mentally retarded. They require the support of the family members - specifically parents and siblings and if possibly grand parents. It helps in the long run to improve their IQ. Their self esteem is impaired when they feel they are not given the right kind of attention and care. They deteriorate faster.

Explain the issues which affect and support team work with parents

Most single parents do not pay child support. The absent parent pays the child support.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.