Citizenship and Marriage

Can an illegal immigrant get documents after marriage with a us citizen?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2011-09-12 14:57:36
2011-09-12 14:57:36

Yes, an illegal immigrant, in the US can get married to an American citizen and obtain their documents


Related Questions

It is legal in the United States for an illegal immigrant to marry a US citizen. Once the marriage is legal, the illegal immigrant becomes a legal immigrant and can stay in the US for the course of the marriage.

Marrying a citizen is not enough to get citizenship. If the marriage was done to get citizenship and there was no love or committment, the marriage is illegal.

Not necessarily, if the couple used valid documents and were married according to the laws of the state in which the union took place, the marriage would be considered legal.

Yes the illegal would be deported and the U.S. citizen who entered into this fraud marriage fined and possibly jailed.

If you mean can the elder perform the marriage ceremony of a US citizen JW with a JW who is an illegal immigrant in the US then assuming that it is not illegal to do so then I would also assume that it is allowable.

Can an illegal immigrant press criminal charges against an American citizen?

Yes, if he then becomes a legal resident There is nothing illegal about marriage, however, since the other one is an illegal immigrant, they are not likely to be granted citizenship simply because of the marriage. The two could be separated for many years.

The US citizen may cancel the I-130 petition, and the illegal will not be given permanent residency. If the immigrant entered illegally into the country, then it doesnt matter because marriage to a US citizen CANNOT help make the immigrant legal.

To get married you need to produce documents and to swear to the truth of what you have written on the marriage certificate, so if you are illegal this would be hard to do for an offical marriage in any state.

Yes you can- but remember that the ability to marry an illegal is SEPARATE from whether or not that illegal will ultimately be able to get legal status due to that marriage.

No, and the laws regarding marriage to an illegal immigrant become more draconian every day.

If the illegal immigrant has, at least, a drivers license, passport, visa, or other identifying documents he or she may legally marry in the majority of U.S. states. He or she is still required to follow the laws of the state in which the marriage will occur. However, the immigrant does not automatically receive permanent residence status (green card) and is still subject to deportation procedures.

Marriage is for life. It is illegal to marry an illegal immigrant to change their immigration status.

No, marriage to a US citizen does not mean the foreign national will be granted permanent residency or citizenship status.

My guess is no. You have to prove that you have a real marriage to stay.

Regardless if you are in the military or not, once you marry an illegal immigrant with a marriage of a year or longer, they are legally U.S. residence thereafter.

== }���tcan a illegal immigrant marry a UK citizen in the UK and reside legally I've seen the answer no where so I still need to know if is possible for an illegal immigrant living in UK to marry a UK citizen in UK and reside legally?

No. The marriage would not be allowed. Also, marrying a US citizen regardless of the circumstances does not prevent an illegal immigrant from being deported.

To marry an illegal immigrant in Greece you can go to a local marriage office. However, this is not advised.

Not immediately. The legal husband/wife will first have to file a petition for the illegal immigrant to start the process of becoming a citizen. Once the illegal immigrant goes through the process and becomes a citizen, they can apply for a license. There are a few state exceptions that allow illegal immigrants to apply for a license.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.