Intellectual Property
Copyright Law

Can you burn a song that is no longer available for sale onto a CD without violating copyright laws?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2007-03-21 01:50:59
2007-03-21 01:50:59

If you already own a copy of the song, then copying it from a digital file to CD is not a problem. Copying from vinyl to tape or from tape to some other medium or from a hard drive, which can fail, to a CD or DVD, which is durable and serves as a backup, is considered fair use. But if you never paid for the tune in the first place, well, that's another kettle of fish. If you contact the copyright owner, he may give you permission. You would need permission of the composers, performers and producers to use their copyrighted works as well as their trademarked names. Furthermore, even if you may qualify for the exemption of "fair use" for limited copies made for your personal use, you may not sell those copies (or even distribute them freely) to others without the risk of having to explain your actions in a federal lawsuit.


Related Questions

If it is no longer protected because the copyright has expired or been voluntarily terminated by the author it is said to reside in the public domain. In terms of software that is written intentionally without copyright protection it is referred to as "open-source"

Either public domain or, in the case of software, opensource.

If it is no longer protected by copyright, there are no rights to obtain.

If a copyright has expired (public domain) then the work is free for anyone to use without restriction. If, however, there is simply no copyright notice in evidence this does not mean that the work is not protected. Existing copyright law in the US was amended in 1989 so a copyright notice is no longer required.

The law has changed and the copyright symbol is no longer needed to insure the protection of the copyright owner. The symbol for copyright is: ยฉ

Works no longer protected by copyright are said to be in the public domain.

"Topo Gigio Viol..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by SOFA Entertainment. =(

Usually this is because either the video has not successfully finished uploading yet, or your video has been removed from Youtube (Copyright claim or Inappropriate).

Completed in 1915, "The End of the Trail" is no longer protected by copyright.

With the limited amount of information available there are a number of possible answers... 1) it may never have been formally copyrighted 2) it may have been intended to be "copyright free" (Public Domain) 3) it may have been written/published after 1989, when copyright notices were no longer necessary. 4) it may have been a government subsidized work 5) the copyright may have expired.

They aren't. Copyright protection is for a limited time, while trademarks can be protected in perpetuity as long as they are in use.

The best way to get a copyrighted photo release from a company no longer in business is through the copyright office. There office will have appropriate information on the owner of the copyright and contact information.

No. Since 1989, when copyright law was amended to bring it into alignment with the Berne Copyright Convention, it is no longer necessary for a copyright symbol to be displayed to establish or maintain protection. Copyright exists from the moment you create an original work, and that can be something as simple as a photo of your child.

Yes, you should cite all sources. Just because something is no longer copyright does not mean that you can use it freely. You can be accused of plagiarism if you use it without citation.

If a song is no longer under copyright, then it becomes public domain. Typically that means that the lyrics are no longer protected. Other people can use them for whatever reasons, commercial or otherwise, without needing to seek permission, licensing, or pay royalties. That does not mean you can use someone else's cover of that song, which will be protected as a derivative work. As an example, many Christmas carols were written a few hundred years ago, and their lyrics are no longer copyrighted. So you could do your own cover of 'I Saw Three Ships', publish and sell it, etc. But what you could not do is use someone else's cover, such as the one featured in a 1999 episode of South Park, which is protected by its own copyright until at least 2069, if not longer. You could not incorporate this version into a new work until then. There are also different rules for copyright of the song and copyright of a recording made of a performance of the song. Each recorded performance may have completely different copyright owners and duration.

A 1924 portrait is no longer in copyright. It is now more than 75 years old and is in the public domain. You do not need permission to reproduce it, and you cannot copyright it.

The only way is trading at the moment. The Events for older game versions are no longer available.

Short phrases do not qualify for copyright protection. There have been three trademark registrations for "love conquers all," but they are no longer enforced.

Logos are protected by trademark rather than copyright. Trademarks can be searched at the links below.

Works for which the term of protection has expired are in the public domain.

if you meant considered to be bad to copy it then no.. a copyright means you must pay tribute to them in order to use it , if its not protected then its a free market

The song will be protected through 2050; recordings will be protected longer.

Copyright content is basically anything that anyone else has written. Owners of copyright content can grant permission for others to use their content. You should not use it unless you have this permission. Copyright covers both the written word and images. Copyright generally expires 70 years after the owner's death, but in some countries the length of time is longer.

Prior to 1989 is was necessary to display a copyright notice in order to maintain protection on a work. That year the US signed the Berne Copyright Convention which standardized copyright law across national borders. One of the provisions that Berne contained was that a copyright notice would no longer be required. US law was amended to bring it into compliance.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.