Children and the Law
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out

Can you live with your boyfriend if your mother gives you permission but your stepdad objects?

User Avatar
Wiki User
March 06, 2007 7:34PM

If a stepparent has not legally adopted a non biological child, then he or she has no legal right to make any decision concerning the child. If the mother retains full custody of the minor the decision can be made solely by her as long as such a decision is not contrary to existing laws of the resident state. If there is joint custody between the two biological parents, the parent with whom the child does not reside would have to file suit to prevent the minor from moving in with a significant other.