Citizenship and Marriage

How can an El Salvadorian female obtain legal status after marrying a US citizen and having two children born in North Carolina?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2008-07-18 13:31:58

A foreign national who is in the US illegally is not eligible

for permanent residence status nor citizenship even if he or she is

allowed to marry a US citizen. The issue of having children born in

the US can sometimes play a bearing on the status of the illegal

immigrant, but there must be other extenuating circumstances. The

exceptions to the new immigration laws are if the person in

question qualifies as an refugee or asylee.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.