How do you become a speech language pathologist?

In the U.S.A., the profession of speech-language pathology is governed by a private professional organization known as the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). For information about the organization and the profession, check here: To offer yourself as a "certified" speech-language pathologist, you will need ASHA certification. [For speech and language, that certificate is CCC-SLP: Certificate of Clinical Competence-Speech/Language/Pathology.] Certification requires a master's degree. To see the other specific requirements, visit