Deeds and Ownership

How do you change the name on a deed from a deceased parent to your name?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-03-11 05:35:43
2006-03-11 05:35:43

If the parent dies with a will, the estate must clear probate, first, which could take time and money. After the Probate is cleared then a Quit Claim Deed from the personal representative of the estate to the rightful benificary of the will. can be filed in the County Clerks office, the house is then transferred. However, the benificary will be responsible for the increased value of the home. If the parent died with a Revocable Livng Trust and the house was properly titled in the trust's name , the the successor trustee would transfer the house via a Quit Claim Deed. This is of minimum costs (the preperation of the deed and the County recorder's filing fee.) And with the Trust there is no monies for the benificaries to pay for the property value increase.


Related Questions

That is done through the probate process. The executor can make the change and issue a new deed.

If your name is on the deed as a "joint tenant" grantee, then the surviving joint tenant(s) automatically become the owners and no probate is involved. This is a common method for bypassing the cost and complexity of probate. If your name is on the deed as a "tenant in common" grantee with the deceased, then their partial ownership must be probated to determine who will receive ownership of it (i.e., according to the state laws of intestate succession). The estate administrator would issue a new deed naming the heirs as tenant(s) in common with other existing tenants in common.

Falsifying a deed to a home where two people are listed one is deceased and his wife is trying to change it to her name

The estate should take care of that change. It can be a simple as filing a copy of the death certificate with the deed.

You have to go through the probate process. The executor will have the ability to issue a new deed to the new owner.

In Illinois the estate should take care of that change. It should be a simple as filing a copy of the death certificate with the deed.

An executrix must carry out the wishes of the deceased. If any of the eight children were excluded by the deceased from inheriting a piece of property she cannot put his or her name on the deed for it.

You can remember a deceased parent in the wedding by putting their name in the program. You could also remember the parent when doing the father/daughter or son/mother dance.

How do I add my daughter's name to my deed

To remove a deceased person from the Deed, you will need to go to a title company. Bring the Death Certificate to show the part is deceased, then they will prepare a new deed to be filed with the county. (anyone else who was on the original title will need to be present for the new Deed) Make sure anyone who will be on the new title brings a valid form of identification.

You need to hire an attorney to change the name on your deed. The deed needs to be filed properly with a court of law and recorded.

You don't change the name on the original deed. You now have a deed from the other grantee in your original deed. Therefore, you have acquired your title to the property in two deeds.

In this state that is done by a Probate Court. A Probate Lawyer can do the paperwork.

No, she cannot do that. The deceased wife's name will be removed by the executor upon the presentation of a death certificate. Depending on the law, the wife may be automatically assumed to be on the deed whether it is physically there or not.

The simplest thing to do is a quit claim deed. It will give the other person all the rights to the property that you had.

You need to review the trust document to determine how the land can be transferred by the trustee. You should consult with an attorney who can review the trust and explain your options.

Not without permission of the probate court. You would need to open an estate and the land would be an asset in that estate. Then the executor would have to inventory all assets, pay all debts and determine the distribution of the remainder. Then the deed could be changed.

The simplest thing to do is file a copy of the marriage certificate with the deed. Or you can do a quit claim deed with the new name.

It depends on what the deed says. If the deed is a right of survivorship, the property will go to the descendants of the last to die. If it is a joint ownership, the property could go to the beneficiaries of all three of the decedents.

The executor of the will does it at the County Office of Deeds and Records. It should be listed under local government in the phone book.

You should seek the advice of an attorney about drafting and recording a new deed. The attorney who handled the estate should be able to assist you.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.