Credit Reports
Improving Your Credit Rating

How do you dispute something on your credit?

User Avatar
Wiki User
July 25, 2012 1:52AM

First of all, you need to contact the merchant, that you have a dispute with. Please be aware that most credit cards indicate that any errors should be reported within 30 days after the statement date. If in fact there is an error, the consumer should request a letter from the merchant of the correction and have the merchant report the correction to the bureau. Also to be safe, the consumer should fill out a dispute form with the credit bureau (can be obtained from the credit bureau's website) and provide them with the detailed information from the consumer and merchant letters. Please also wait approximately a few months for the bureau to update because the merchants report on a monthly basis.