Ford Ranger XLT

How do you replace the odometer on a 2002 Ford Ranger?

User Avatar
Wiki User
September 12, 2011 9:01PM

you don't unles your trying to rip somebody off. If your odometer is truly busted in my state you have to have a cert. mechanic do the work and the state changes the status of your vehicles title to "salvage". Yup-salvage as in-it could have been in a total wreck or in your case it doesnt have the original, MATCHING, odom. which from my staes point of view is the same as salvage. If you don't care what the title says, you don't ever want to sell the auto, just find one in a jubk yard, take the dash apart until you get to the odom. Its just a cable but it will probably have a 'seal' of some sort which you'll have to break. But-if its just for you-well I shouldn't say that because you still have to deal with state inspections and I am not a legal expert. You really have to ask a cert. mech. ijn your state or ask your states DOT. Used car dealers do it all the time, of course, but sometimes states like to make examples of ther ;little' guys, just be careful