This advice is to be taken at your own risk.
Apply bleach (Chlorox) diluted with water (1:1 or less). This will dissolve and dry up the reaction. Start with a test area and apply carefully after scratching open the blisters.
The best cure is prevention. If you suspect exposure while doing yardwork, for example, never abrade or scratch your skin surface, and continually wash and rinse exposed skin areas as you work, even frequently changing your clothing if the exposure is intense.
Poison Ivy's allergic reaction is caused by the oil it secretes. Poison Ivy oil can lay dormant and viable for many years in both living and dead plant form. It should never be confused with the skin's release of reactionary fluids. The weeping of the skin is an allergic reaction and is not poisonous or contagious, however, the allergic ivy oils are invisible and pervasive. Exposed skin, clothing and bedding material should be thoroughly washed.
BTW: I have suffered severely from poison ivy Allergies in the past requiring steroid shots and was dubious, even appalled, at the suggestion of bleach and water. Never have I been more happily surprised in accepting advice. And since, and during, the clearing of the back half of my little square in the American Southeast, I have been pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of the Chlorox "solution", but mainly at the value of understanding what poison ivy is and how it attacks the skin organ. After my initial horrendous exposure, I effectively used preventive measures which resulted in zero need for treatment. Constantly taking wash down rinses and clothing changes in a controlled and educated manner resulted in this success, with many thanks to the linked website. Education is the key.
The bleach thing hurts when you do it but it is worth it. What hurts less is oat meal baths (my step mother tells me this really works too). If you don't like baths and you take showers then you can take this product and put it on the infected area and let it soak for a while.
Dogs can give you rashes if they walk through poison ivy or poison oak and then walk or rub against you.
Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are skin rashes. They begin with the letter p.
Poison ivy rashes last about 1-3 weeks, the itching will go away in approx. 1 week or maybe less. Avoid scratching rashes, or it will turn red and leave scars. You're welcome! -Miss.Helpful
to my knowledge... YES! DX
This sounds more like Impetigo to me.....go see your Dr. for some antibiotic ointment.
Dogs can get rashes from poison ivy or posion oak. Some dogs can get a rash from an allergic reaction to a plant or certain food.
Jewel weed (also used for poison ivy)
calamine lotion and is used as an anti-itching agent to treat mild pruritic conditions such as sunburn, eczema, rashes, poison ivy, chickenpox, and insect bites and stings.
No, poison ivy is not contagious.
If you are near the ocean anywhere, get into the water, lightly break the poison ivy blisters with sand and let the ocean water get at it. This dries up poison ivy faster than any other treatment I know. This can get rid of poison ivy in just a day or two. other means include,applying tea tree oil or aloe vera.You can get rid of Poison Ivy rashes by immediately rinsing your skin when the poison ivy strikes, rubbing the skin with some alcohol, or by taking an antihistamine.
That is what I was prescribed, so yes.
No it won't. It'll just add to the cleanup.
No, you will not get poison ivy.
You can't. You'll get a sickness from eating( or licking) the oil on the plant. NEVER LICK POISON IVY, OAK OR ANY OTHER POISONOUS PLANT.
Poison ivy, hives, dry skin, allergic reactions, contact dermatitis, etc. etc.
if there is a woman posion ivy and a man poison ivy then they get together, have luch and at the end of the night make a baby poison ivy.
Having poison ivy will not kill you.
Anyone can get Poison Ivy if you are allergic to it.
Bad things happen. Don't eat poison ivy.
Ivy leaf is poison ivy. Poison ivy is a leaf that gives you a bad itchy rash.
To treat poison ivy, it may become necessary to take antihistamine pills. It is also advised that someone take warm baths and use calamine lotion.