1) jack up the front of the car & place on jack stands. this is necessary because you have to bleed the air out of the system after changing the pump.
2) make sure the engine won't start (pull coil wire, e.g.)
3) remove the windshield washer/coolant reservoir from the fender & move out of the way. You will need to catch the coolant in the reservoir when you remove that small hose in order to move the reservoir.
4) remove the horns. now you have room to work.
5) remove the serpentine belt. this was the hardest part by far. i had to buy two different tools to try to get the belt off. finally, i removed the right front tire actually placed the tool UNDER the belt tensioner bolt & lowere the car to get the belt loose. there was no room between the tensioner & the fender well to release the tension. but you may have your own method. ( i actually removed the serpentine belt before placing the car on both jack stands).
6) get the steering pump pulley puller from auto zone or other parts store. they usually require a deposit, but then you get it all back when you return the tool. you need the tool that is for Ford power steering pumps. screw the puller bolt into the pulley's center, then use 2 wrenches on the puller to remove the pulley. it comes off very nicely. DO NOT hammer it back on. you use the pulley puller for that also.
7) remove the power steering pump lines. use a open ended wrench made for hydraulic lines. seems the fittings were standard, not metric, but I'm not sure. you need two wrenches to remove the hose.
8) remove the pump from the casting holding it. i thought i needed to remove the whole casting, but it is not necessary.
9) replace the pump or have the seals replaced. i ordered the seal kit ahead of time, then took the pump to a local independent mechanic. he charged one hour of labor to put the seals in.the seal kit was $15.00. so, it was about half the price or less of a rebuilt pump.
10) install the pump, attach the lines,put the belt back on, fill with fluid. DO NOT put the coil wire back on yet.
11) using the starter, crank the engine over while turning the wheels(while on jacks) with the steering wheel from lock to lock 2-3 times. this is to initially bleed air out of the system. don't run the starter longer than 30 seconds at once. add fluid to the reservoir if needed.
12) connect the coil wire.repeat the lock to lock several more times slowly with the engine running to bleed residual air. top off the reservoir. put the cap back on (it gets a new O-ring, too~)
13) lower car. drive away with a big smile :)
How do you replace the power steering pump for a 1987 Toyota Supra?
At the power steering reservoir.
It does not have a power steering filter.
The best way is to siphon the old out and pour new in.
In the power steering reservoir located on top of the power steering pump. No pump then it has manual steering.
how do i put a power steering pump on a 1987 dodge Dakota truck v6
It is important to maintain the fluid levels of a vehicle. A person adds power steering fluid for this car into the power steering reservoir under the hood under the lid labeled power steering.
You can find a diagram of a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder power steering system in the owner's manual. You can also find it at various auto stores.
It goes in the power steering located on the drivers side, in the front of the motor. There is a black screw cap on the power steering pump and a dipstick inside.
How to replace the power steering depends on which component you wish to replace. Let us know what it is and we will get back to you.
Yes, mine does.
In the power steering reservoir. Which is located on the passanger side next to the firewall right next to the hood hinge.
Sable - 1987 Copycat 1-5 was released on: USA: 5 December 1987
Sable - 1987 Watchdogs 1-6 was released on: USA: 12 December 1987
Sable - 1987 Evangelist 1-3 was released on: USA: 21 November 1987
It is on the back of the power steering pump. The power steering pump is located on the left hand side of the engine. It will be a cap with the dipstick molded on to it. Remove the cap and you will be able to see the fluid.
It is important to know where to put the fluids of a car. In this car power steering fluid is added to the reservoir labeled with a yellow cap stamped with power steering, found under the hood of the car.
Sable - 1987 Toy Gun 1-1 was released on: USA: 7 November 1987
Sable - TV series - was created in 1987.
Spec is ATF
Disconnect the low pressure line
In order of MY observations: connections, hoses, power steering pump and finally rack or steering gear, although rack is becomming much more common.
This may help, from another forum: My 300TE has started to lose power steering fluid. The reservoir drains over about a month, you can see the fluid on the base of the steering box :( . Is there a seal I can replace easily, or am I up for a lot of