Alcohol has a high specific heat. This means that it absorbs heat easily and evaporates quickly. When it evaporates, it takes the heat away with it. I don't know if I've really explained that very well, but if you really want to understand it, take a class on thermodynamics. Or if you're in high school, chemistry would probably suffice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_heat -DJ Craig
Rubbing alcohol does dry your skin. This is why doctors now recommend using water to rub down fevered children instead of alcohol.
No, as pediatricians, we prefer you NOT use rubbing alcohol - the alcohol can be absorbed into the body via the skin, creating a possibility of alcohol intoxication. The optimum way to cool down a child with a high fever is to put him/her in a warm bath and then turn on the cold spout - apply luke-warm water to the arm-pits and groin. RBB, MD
EDIT: I found a government source (City of Toronto) that says NOT to pour rubbing alcohol down the drain. Sorry. Instead, call your local pharmacy on how to dispose of it.I'd put a link, but this site won't let me. So if you want to find the source, look it up on the internet. (Was a bit tricky to find. Sorry.).To dispose of old rubbing alcohol, choose a sink where there is plenty of ventilation. Start the water in the sink before dumping the contents of the rubbing alcohol. Slowly dump the rubbing alcohol down the sink and run more water down after the rubbing alcohol has been completely drained.
Rubbing alcohol is poisonous and should not be consumed in any amounts under any circumstances. Rubbing alcohol consists of mostly isopropanol alcohol and not the ethyl alcohol that people consume. This alcohol breaks down to acetone in the liver and can cause a wide range of symptoms including vomiting, headaches, dizziness, and can even cause a person to go into a coma.
Yes, rubbing alcohol will kill fungus, assuming the living fungus cells are exposed to the alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol breaks down many of a cell's processes rendering it dead within a few seconds, a process called denaturation. If the cells of the fungus are not exposed directly to the rubbing alcohol then it will not kill those cells. Hence, humans can touch rubbing alcohol without major injury as our living tissue is protected by the upper most layer of skin which is dead.
There are many ways different types of things cool down. Some cool down fans, ice, air conditioning, and dirt are commonly used ways.
because it evapurates on the skin faster and it cools down
An object will cool down if its temperature is greater than the temperature of its surroundings.
Some medical conditions and health conditions like pregnancy are one of the things that cut down the alcohol conceptions.
In many places in the world, alcohol is used to lower down the fever. There seems to be no harm in this traditional method of lowering the fever.
To help cool the child down. The evaporating alcohol would help with the cooling. To evaporate the alcohol needs some energy and it would take heat from the child's skin thus helping with the cooling. The water would remove heat from the skin by evaporation and conduction.
to cool things down
rubbing alcohol is not the same as any regular "grain" alcohol. rubbing alcohol is also known as "wood" alcohol and drinking it is a BAD IDEA. the isopropanol which is thus consumed will break down into acetone and cause severe stomach pain. eventually the poison may cause blindness and death. basically drinking rubbing alcohol is drinking poison.Actually "wood" alcohol is methyl alcohol (methanol), not isopropyl alcohol or propyl alcohol. Alcohols are modified hydrocarbons with one hydrogen (H) replaced with a hydroxyl group (OH):methyl alcohol, methanol - hydrocarbon methane; 1 carbon atom (wood alcohol)ethyl alcohol, ethanol - hydrocarbon ethane; 2 carbon atoms (grain alcohol)propyl alcohol, propanol - hydrocarbon propane; isopropyl alcohol, isopropanol - hydrocarbon isopropane; 3 carbon atoms (rubbing alcohol)butyl alcohol, butanol - hydrocarbon butane; isobutyl alcohol, isobutanol - hydrocarbon isobutane; etc.; 4 carbon atomsetc.The toxicity of the different alcohols varies, but only ethyl alcohol can really be considered safe to consume.
You can remove chlorophyll from leaves by breaking down the plant cells' membranes using heat and rubbing alcohol
That was practiced in the past, but it is no longer recommended. There are products that are safer to use to help muscles cool down, particularly at sporting events. There are a number of these and you can look them up online or call a massage school in your area to get recommendations for its use.
It can slow down or cool down
You can use a cotton cloth to gently rub the sides that are dirty. Also for the string use a micro-fiber cloth with rubbing alcohol. Turn your violin upside down for this though as if any rubbing alcohol gets onto your violin, it takes off the finish.
Sweating is a major example of evaporation to cool down. That is why people sweat. When the sweat is evaporated off of the body, it causes the person to cool down some.
mix Lidocaine as 1 gram in 250cc which yields 4mg/cc, no alcohol needed to break it downmix Lidocaine as 1 gram in 250cc which yields 4mg/cc, no alcohol needed to break it downmix Lidocaine as 1 gram in 250cc which yields 4mg/cc, no alcohol needed to break it down
It is great as an anti-septic if used on very small areas of the body. Never give a child with a fever an alcohol rub-down - the alcohol may become absorbed via the skin into the child's body causing alcohol poisoning.
Natural yoghurt will cool most things down.
Definitely yes, uh huh. Gelatin will cool down anything stuck into it that's warmer than the gelatin is.
Rubbing alcohol is very drying and can be irritating to the skin. It can actually burn the skin and cause the temperature to fluctuate. It is important to get the person suffering from heat exhaustion out of the sun and cool them down. One of the fastest ways to do that is to put cool packs under the armpits, between the thighs and on the forehead and neck. Do not put super cold packs on them. Cool is better. Replace the cool packs often. A light going over the entire body with cool wash clothes is good as long as the person is not shivering or getting shocky. It is a good idea to take the person to a doctor while you have the cool packs on them. Do not use any sort of chemicals, creams, butter or other things on their skin. Watch for odd behaviors and symptoms.
You get some alcohol--isopropyl alcohol is usually used, but ethyl alcohol could also be used...do not use methyl alcohol as it will poison you through the skin--and mix it down to 70 percent concentration with water. Most people, including the people who sell it in stores, just buy it premixed.