How long do you have to file a police report against someone who took your car without permission in the state of Washington?

There is no absolute time limit. However, the sooner the better. Taking Motor Vehicle Without Owner's Permission (TMVWOP) is a felony (see RCWs 9A.56.070 / .075). The statute of limitations for prosecution is three years, but one can file a report anytime. Additional: - Be prepared to answer for why you delayed in reporting of the crime. - Understand that law enforcement will be sceptical and suspicious of any unreasonable explanations. DO NOT MAKE ANY EXAGERATIONS / OMISSIONS OR FALSE REPORTS.