Asked in
Children and the Law
How To

How to change the last name of a minor in Chicago Illinois?


User Avatar
Wiki User
November 19, 2009 8:30PM


You can get the forms for a minor name change in Cook County here:

You will need the (1) Name Change Form which is 3 pages (and remember to have someone else sign the affidavit on page 3 in front of a Notary Public before you file these documents!); (2) Name Change Judgment form; and (3) County Cover Sheet. Remember to bring the child's birth certificate and payment of $329 for the filing fee.

You will go to the Circuit Court at the Daley Plaza, 50 W. Washington, Room 1202. You can also go to one of the 5 circuit courts in the suburbs.

If both parents are there in court and agree to the name change, you do NOT have to publish the name change petition in a newspaper. You can usually have the judgment entered that day so long as the judge finds that there is clear and convincing evidence that the name change is in the best interest of the child.

If you are a guardian or one parent, you will need to either serve the other parent(s)
or publish the name change in a publication like a newspaper. You will need further forms for these actions, and these forms can be found in the link above. The name change will not be entered the day you file the initial documents because the other parent(s) will need to be served first, meaning they will need notice of the name change proceedings.