If a parent has joint legal custody is it legal for the other parent to take the child out of state without permission?

Generally joint custody means both parents have equal rights to decisions concerning the child. However, the actual terms would be in the custody agreement. Therefore, it may be allowable for a parent to take certain actions w/o the consent of the other parent. You might wish to read over the terms of the custody agreement or consult with the attorney who handled the case for more specific information.

A permanent move would likely require court approval unless the non-physical-custody parent consents to the move.