US Military

If you are under age and you marry an 18 yr old U S citizen would make it easier to get residency or citizenship?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2007-02-15 07:30:11
2007-02-15 07:30:11

Assuming that the person underage is illegally in the USA, no it does not. Immigration and marriage are a totally different matter. Okay, sometimes they go together in the case where an immigrant is involved, and is essential for him/her to immigrate legally, but they are tottaly two different things. In order for an immigrant to immigrate to the USA legally through marriage he/she has to go through immigration first (DHS, formerly INS). Many people mistakingly think that once they marry a U.S. citizen they become legal immigrants and/or citizens like a magic act; that's is not true. If naything, it complicates things later on when trying to get their visas and/or permanent residency. Remember: Immigration first, then marriage; not the other way around.

User Avatar

Related Questions

Sometimes. A US citizen can marry anybody he/she likes. If a US citizen marries a UK citizen, that alone will not entitle him/her to UK citizenship. The US Citizen will stand to lose the US citizenship if he/she applies to get naturalized as a US citizen. UK citizenship can be acquired sometimes by descent.

Yes, there is no citizenship or residency requirement for marriage in either the US or Canada. However, if they marry in the United States, they will have to marry in a state that permits same-sex couples to marry (see related question below). They may, however, marry in any province in Canada. Because of current federal law, the American citizen may not sponsor his Canadian husband for US citizenship. However, the Canadian citizen can sponsor his American husband for Canadian citizenship.

yes, apply as a single person that way when you marry your fiance you are an American citizen and it will make it easier to get him a green card.

Citizenship is not acquired by marriage. After 10 years of residency in the Philippines you may request to become a Philippine Citizen or you can be made a citizen by act of Congress for special and outstanding contributions to the Republic of The Philippines.

No, but the person you marry can sponsor your citizenship making it easier. It takes about a year, because the us citizen will be investigated and both people have to prove that it is a real marriage and not a ploy just to get citizenship.

I am a US citizen and permanent resident of Ukraine. Usually, the foreign citizen must marry a Ukrainian citizen and reside in the country. After two years of marriage, an application for residency can be made at the district OVIR office. This gives most of the benefits of citizenship, except voting rights. It also obviates the need to repeatedly obtain Ukrainian visas.

I believe that you're guaranteed a citizenship when you marry a citizen, but being an illegal complicates the matter.

No. Only if you marry him, he will become a citizen.

Yes. There is no residency requirement for marriage in the United States. You will have to marry in a state that has legalized same-sex marriage, however. Marrying an American citizen of the same-sex will not help you in getting a US visa, green card or American citizenship, however.

You never loss you citizenship, unless certain acts of war (treason, defection) are committed. No, if you marry to a Mexican in Mexico, you don't loss you citizenship. You should note, however, that he/she is not granted American citizenship automatically.

Yes a Zambian citizen can marry a Us citizen and work in the us because the zambian citizen can obtain a citizenship by marriage and automatically become a citizen of us and is allowed and qualified to work there.

There are no restrictions on whom a refugee may marry. A refugee can definitely marry a US citizen, and they would also be able to attain permanent US residency through the marriage.

Yes, there is no residency or citizenship requirement for marriage in Canada.

Yes. There is no residency or citizenship requirement for marriage in Canada.

marry a Mexican citizen apply for citizenship after 2 years of been together, move to Mexico work or live there for more than 5 years apply for citizenship

Yes, and in most cases this will grant her citizenship.

If you marry an illegal, that person is considered a citizen. But when you divorce that person their citizenship is revoked. STATED BY AUTHOR

If the immigrant is a true illegal (i.e. entered the country illegally/without inspection) even a marriage to a US citizen wont prevent him from facing possible deportation. Moreover, an immigrant CANNOT apply for citizenship, they must first apply for legal residency

It is not possible to become a Canadian Citizen just by marrying a Canadian citizen. Citizenship cannot be acquired by marriage in any country.

To attain citizenship in San Marino, one must be born there, live there for 30 years, or marry a male citizen.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.