Law & Legal Issues
Personal Finance
Money Management

If you live in an FHA loan house can it be sold at your death to pay a judgment against you?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2005-10-23 13:48:49
2005-10-23 13:48:49

The lender is not the deciding factor, although FHA insurance can sometimes prevent a home from foreclosure and/or a forced sale on in some situations. What determines if a creditor can use a judgment to seize a homestead is the laws of the state in which the property is located and how the home is titled.


Related Questions

It depends on your state: If you live in most community property states (Louisiana West through Texas, and on the California) a judgment against her may affect your property if it is deemed to be "community property" which is property acquired during the marriage. If you live in a common law state, and the state has maintained "tenants by the entireities" as the form in which married persons hold property, then the property is, in all likelihood, free from the lien of the judgment.

He took over Jacob Marley's house following his partners death in 1837

depending on the state you live in yes. If the bank forecloses and they get a default judgment against you, they can garnish your wages. Not in Texas though. There are other states that don't allow wage garnishment, except on federal debt

Yes. Texas does not allow wage garnishment for creditor debt but it does allow bank account levy even if the account is jointly held.

Yes, it is irrelevant how the property was purchased. If it is titled in the judgment debtor's name a lien can be placed on the property. The exception could be if the judgment debtor is married and does not live in a community property state and the spouse is not a co-judgment debtor.

Nobody can and may be forced to do anything against their will.

At the time of his death, Roald Dahl was living in 'Gipsy House' in Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire, England. Roald Dahl lived in Gipsy House from 1954 until his death in 1990.

No Texas does not allow wages to be garnished, however the person or company can get a judgment against you and take the money from your bank account.

In most cases, gifting property for the purpose of avoiding a judgment is fraud. If it could be shown that you gave your house to your sister for this purpose (for example, if you continued to live in the home or continued to maintain it), both you and your sister could be criminally prosecuted for fraud, and the judgment holder could probably still get the property.

After the lender gets a judgment they can garnish your wages but they cannot getyour house unless you used it as collateral for the car loan.

Yes. The creditor can sue the debtor in Texas and use a judgment award to place a lien against property belonging to the debtor. I'm not a lawyer and would encourage you to call one. But I believe the previous answer is incomplete. If you reside in Texas, and you LIVE in the home in question, a judgment award cannot really be used against that property. If they put a lien on the house, all you need to do is claim "homestead exemption" and tell the creditor to remove the lien. They are required to do that. If they refuse, you can sue them for damages. The creditor can place a lien on OTHER property that you own (i.e. not your primary residence). Or any property that you inherit.

no ________________ You can live long without death, but you can't live forever without death. Death will overtake you eventually.

This means the apartment is allowing you to still live there (perhaps you settled and paid the arrears but not before the Landlord obtained a Judgment or writ of execution against you but chose not to kick you out)

After the death of what ?

If the state where you owe back taxes gets a judgment against you, your wages can be garnished. This can happen no matter what state you live in.

At the time of his death, John Wayne resided in a beachfront house in Newport Beach inCalifornia.

If you do not clean yourself or the area in which you live in, you, your house, or whatever you don't clean can attract diseases that cause death. You will become a breeding ground for bacteria.

If they have a valid judgment against you in Oklahoma, absolutely. The Constitution requires states to give "full faith and credit" to the judgments of other states. Your creditor could simply go to a Texas court with a copy of the Oklahoma judgment, and get it enforced.

If you make a house for the fairy I think it will live in the house.

A judgment is filed in the court where the lawsuit is litigated, which is the court with proper subject matter and geographic jurisdiction.

Depends on the state that you live in. Talk to an attorney, if the collection people dont believe you're disabled.

i live in Louisiana a hospital is try to sue me for a dept if they gain a judgment against me can they take any of my property If a judgment is assessed against you, they can take your property. Depending on the type of suit and who the judgment creditor is, collections on judgment can be in the form of garnishments ( served upon your employer to hold your wages or even your bank accounts), to the judgment being recorded in the county you reside which will result in your not being able to buy or sell a home (or buy one for that matter) until the judgment is paid in full. Should you die before the money is collected, "they" can also collect the proceeds from your estate before any money is disbursed to your family. Best advice - contact an attorney in your area (check the yellow pages for a general practioner or litigation attorney) hopefully they will be able to negotiate a settlement (reduced amount) and have the judgment set aside - or even file a motion to stay collection proceedings while they work on an appeal for you. Good luck!

Yes, dogs can live in a house.

You live in a house to protect yourself from the outside

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.