Debt and Bankruptcy
Bankruptcy Law
Retirement Planning
Social Security

If you receive Social Security can you file Bankruptcy?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-03-09 05:39:50
2010-03-09 05:39:50

AFAIK, Social Security has no impact on your ability to file bankruptcy. In fact, Social Security is excluded from the "means test", so unless you have substantial other income you should be able to file Chapter 7.

User Avatar

Related Questions

Yes, but if the debtor ever used a phony social security, some districts will NOT allow the person to file a bankruptcy.

It is possible to file bankruptcy when receiving VA disability.

No, you don't have to be a resident. If you are a non-citizen, but have a Social Security card or a Tax ID, you can file a bankruptcy. If you don't have a United States ID, but own property in the U.S., you can still file a bankruptcy.

In most states, California included, you can receive unemployment benefits while still receiving your full Social Security benefits.

No. If you qualify under each program's guidelines, you will receive a full check for both Social Security and unemployment. Michigan no longer offsets unemployment compensation when you receive Social Security income.

Getting social security isn't automatic and you have to file for them with the social security administration. So, just don't file.

Not always.... Depends on how much your income is. But if for some reason they do a stimulus check and you did not file - you will NOT receive one.

Apply to receive social security once you meet the age requirements or get a lawyer if you think you deserve it now.

yes you will need to file with the social security office, complete necessary paperwork and submit a copy of the death certificate and your birth certificate proving that was your parent

You can file for things that require a social security number and it will help you get governmental benefits. The benefits of having a social security number is that it allows you to do things legally and you don't have to be underground. It also allows you to receive any benefits you will be entilted to when you retire.

You have to file for disability at the Social Security Disability website.

That depends on your state of residence and how much total income you receive each year. Fourteen states apply some form of tax on Social Security benefits.

If you file bankruptcy, you file bankruptcy on everything. You can not file bankruptcy on one loan.

Always file your Fed. Tax return. If S.S. is the only income you receive you'll be eligible for E.I.C.. It may not be a lot, but living exclusively on your S.S. benefits is tough.

Yes. The amount taxed will depend on your total income as a single or jointly. You will receive an SSA-1099 that will give you the information you need. There is also information on the Social Security site in your account.

No you can not file bankruptcy on anything that is court ordered.CAN YOU FILE BANKRUPTCY ON RESTITUTION?

If Social Security is your only source of income, no.

2009 cn't be filed until the year is over, and before April 15 2010

Generally, no. Retirement accounts that are ERISA-qualified aren't considered property of an estate and cannot be taken. Social Security benefits are generally protected from assignment, or garnishment for debts in bankruptcy. The Social Security Administration's responsibility for protecting benefits against legal process and assignment usually ends when the beneficiary is paid. Once paid, the benefits continue to be protected only as long as they can be identified as Social Security benefits. For example, money in a bank account where the "only" deposits into the account are direct deposits of Social Security benefits are "identifiable" and generally protected.

The custodial parent should file a claim against the obligors estate. They should also file for social security benefits.The custodial parent should file a claim against the obligors estate. They should also file for social security benefits.The custodial parent should file a claim against the obligors estate. They should also file for social security benefits.The custodial parent should file a claim against the obligors estate. They should also file for social security benefits.

It keeps track ofmoney you have contributed toSocial Security (which, for most people, means your employer withheld and submitted on your behalf). When you file to receive SS benefits at 65 or older, the amount you receive will depend on the amount you have put in.

take her birth certificate to the social security office and file for a new social security card. if she is in school they should also have that number.

No. You virtually never "have to" file bankruptcy.Doing so will involve all of your other assets, including those ht aren't secured by property...and the secured property is still reserved to benefit those who have it is security in bankruptcy.

No they never did file for bankruptcy

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.