Children and the Law

In Michigan can a 16-year-old who is removed from an abusive home by state child protective services live with her boyfriend's parents?



User Avatar
Wiki User

She would not be allowed to move in with her boyfriend's family unless the adults were appointed her legal guardian, which is highly improbable. Neither is it standard procedure for the judge to place an abused child into the home of another family member as it could jeopardize the child's welfare and the outcome of any custodial procedure. The decision of where the minor is place is based on the findings of the investigating agency. However, in the majority of abuse cases the minor child will be placed in a foster or group home until the custodial hearing and not with a family member or friends of the family, regardless of their connection.