Children and the Law
Child Support

In Wisconsin does a father still have to pay child support for a 17-year-old daughter who has a baby and is on public assistance and receiving child support for her child?



User Avatar
Wiki User

Regardless of the situation, the obligated parent must adhere to the court order of support until the order is amended or rescinded by the court of jurisdiction. The father cannot arbitrarily stop child support payments, he will have to file a lawsuit (petition) in the appropriate state court to have the child support amended or stopped. Unless the young woman falsified the documents needed to obtain public assistance, the state's division of child support enforcement or social services would be aware that her father is paying support also, and that would in all likelihood indicate the support order now in place would hold up if contested.