Is it legal for a mother to take a Social Security benefits of her 15-year-old child if the child does not live with her?

Only if the mother has been designated the minor's payee by the SSA or there is a court order designating the mother the conservator of the minor child. In such cases the mother would be responsible for making a yearly accounting to the SSA and/or court of how the funds were spent and/or saved.