Best Answer

I many states, a legal provision exists for allowing a minor to live independently and seperately from his or her parents, particularly in cases where there is a history of child abuse or neglect, drug or alchohol abuse by the parents, or for other reasons. To be able to do that, you have to get legal approval from a court judge and usually have to demonstrate that the child is able to support him/herself and is better of on their own than living with the parents. The best place to start would be the local Police Department or Department of Social Services. They can investigate the problems at home(a judge will want proof) and either place the child in a foster home, or help the child process the papers to become an 'emancipated minor'.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2004-10-28 18:05:00
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: Is there a law that permits a 17-year-old or just turning 18 to move out and live on their own due to family or home related issues?
Write your answer...
Still have questions?
magnify glass
People also asked