What are all seas in the Mediterranean sea area?
Only the Black Sea is connected to the Mediterranean by the intervening Sea of Marmara. However, within the Mediterranean itself there are subdivisions also known as seas. These are:
- the Strait of Gibraltar;
- the Alboran Sea, between Spain and Morocco;
- the Balearic Sea, between mainland Spain and its Balearic Islands;
- the Ligurian Sea between Corsica and Liguria (Italy);
- the Tyrrhenian Sea enclosed by Sardinia, Italian peninsula and Sicily;
- the Ionian Sea between Italy, Albania and Greece;
- the Adriatic Sea between Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Albania;
- the Aegean Sea between Greece and Turkey.
Finally, the Suez Canal connects the Mediterranean with the Red Sea.