Asked in Digital CamerasRadioRadio Personalities
What are the advantages and disadvantages of radio?
November 20, 2011 6:53AM
- A universal medium. Can be enjoyed at home, at work, and while driving. Most people listen to the radio at one time or another during the day.
- Permits you to target your advertising dollars to the market most likely to respond to your offer.
- Permits you to create a personality for your business using only sounds and voices.
- Free creative help is ususally available.
- Rates can generally be negotiated.
- Least inflated medium. During the past ten years, radio rates have gone up less than other media.
- Because radio listeners are spread over many stations, to totally saturate your market you have to advertise simultaneously on many stations.
- Listeners cannot refer back to your ads to go over important points.
- Ads are an interruption to the entertainment. Because of this, radio ads must be repeated to break through the listener's "tune out" factor.
- Radio is a background medium. Most listeners are doing something else while listening, which means your ad has to work hard to be listened to and understood.
- Advertising costs are based on ratings which are approximations based on diaries kept in a relatively small fraction of a region's homes.