What are the origins of the Spanish language?

The Spanish language developed mainly from Latin.

75% of the Spanish language is Latin in origin. The other 25% is mainly from Arabic. In the Americas, the native languages have had a huge influence on the language. The are hints of Germanic influence (mainly from Visigoth). Influence from Basque and Celtic languages is debatable. French has had a small effect on Spanish.